What's Changing in NetScaler Licensing?
From that date, to license new NetScaler MPX and SDX deployments, organizations will have to move to a subscription model. This change is part of a wider move to the subscription pricing model introduced by Citrix under the Cloud Software Group. NetScaler preannounced the changes in a Citrix Knowledge Base article. The summary of which is:
- All sales of perpetually licensed versions of NetScaler MPX and SDX hardware ended on 5th March 2023.
- Perpetually licensed VPX/BLX offerings ended on 5th March 2023.
- Low-end VPX subscription (VPX10 Mbps and VPX 25 Mbps) sales ended on 5th March 2023.
- All models of NetScaler Standard edition sales ended on 22nd March.
- Cold spare hardware sales ended on 5th March.
These changes, especially discontinuing the low-end VPX offering and the Standard edition, may concern current NetScaler customers. These changes may reflect a move toward a more Enterprise focus by Citrix under Cloud Software Group. The Citrix blog announcing and explaining the move to subscription pricing is available here. One section in that blog might be concerning to NetScaler customers:
“We are also continuously adding new features to both cloud and on-premises deployments to improve user experience, security, and flexibility. Citrix Universal will be the primary path to receive software updates and technical support benefits moving forward.”
This suggests that organizations that don’t transition to the new licensing model will not get the same level of service and product enhancements as those using the new subscription. Maybe something to discuss with your NetScaler representative? It’s probably worth noting that Cloud Software Group also increased their prices by 8% in April as part of a separate announcement.
What to do Next?
Evaluating LoadMaster as a NetScaler Replacement
If you are reevaluating your use of NetScaler in light of the licensing changes, and the removal of the Standard offering plus some VPX options, and want to see if LoadMaster is a better choice for your organization moving forward, we have several resources that can help.
- Our LoadMaster vs. NetScaler comparison site — Case studies, How-to’s, and other articles on how your company can achieve a better ROI with LoadMaster. In addition to better performance.
- YouTube On-Demand Webinar: 5 Reasons to Replace Citrix ADC Load Balancing with Kemp — A comparison of NetScaler and LoadMaster features and some reasons why LoadMaster might be a better fit for your organization. As noted in the webinar, LoadMaster solutions are more powerful, easier to deploy, can be licensed in innovative and flexible ways, have unrivaled technical support, and cost significantly less than the NetScaler configurations. In almost all deployments, a LoadMaster solution will be better.
- Additional Q&A from the Webinar — We published a follow-up Q&A blog post answering several of the excellent (and one tongue-in-cheek) questions from the Webinar chat.
3: Progress: Webinar - 5 Reasons to Replace Citrix ADC Load Balancing with Kemp - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsNGjlIkRPk