Microsoft DirectAccess is a VPN like remote access technology that is a core component of the Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Access role. DirectAccess is a unique solution that is designed to replace traditional VPN access. It provides secure, seamless, transparent and always-on remote access to corporate networks for clients running Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and Windows 10.
DirectAccess provides these advantages over most traditional VPN solutions:
- Active Directory Domain joined client computers connect automatically rather than connections being user initiated
- Connections seamlessly work through all firewalls
- Supports selected server access when connected
- Can use IPSEC authentication to corporate servers
- Supports end to end encryption of the connection
- Provides transparent failover to another corporate network access point or site if required
- Supports offline domain join for clients that have never been on the corporate network
- Allows central IT staff to manage the remote computers over the DirectAccess connection.